Wednesday, February 1, 2012

UF Career Advice

I was at the Univeristy of Florida last week doing some campus recruiting.  It's a great campus and has great programs for Engineering and Sciences.   We typically hire a few people for here every year.   One thing I notice when interviewing and meeting candidates...damn, they are so nervous!   Guys,  you need to relax.  We are not there to intimidate you.    Be yourself. And be prepared.  Have resumes available,  dress for success, maintain eye contact with the person that you are speaking too, ask questions.  Beleive it or not....we want to hire you and we want you to succeed.    For me, grades are not as important as if the person will be a fit in our organization and for that you need to be able to carry on a conversation.   Conversation skills are laking among the youth in the US and across the world. 
  • Don't say "I'll do anything"  - Have goals; and if your goals line up with ours, even better.
  • Do research on the company- it shows that you are interested.
  • Follow-up with electronic copies of resumes - these are easier for us to share
  • Ask for feedback - it can only help you with your interview skills.
  • Figure out what you need to do to get an interview.
follow these guidelines and you will have better success with your job search.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mike. I'm J.R., Melissa Holdaway's husband.

    This is excellent advice. I almost trashed the opportunity to hire one of the best employees I've ever had because I couldn't get her to be calm during the interview. I knew intuitively she would be a great asset but her fear was hard to navigate from a practical standpoint.

    ReplyDelete